Monday 19 September 2011

Bradford on Avon

During the last week of my summer holidays, I visited Bradford Upon Avon with the idea of giving my knitting friend a surprise. I went to Jumble Jelly's Knit n Natter Day only to discover that Misselle of the Misselle Knits Podcast, had, that morning fallen down the stairs! So she was unable to move from home that day! I hope you are feeling better now Misselle!

However, I made a new friend, Maplegirl, on Ravelry. We had a lovely chat. I have said it before and will say it again, there is something special about crafters. It doesn't take long before they get chatting together as if they have known each other all their lives.

Please check out Jumble Jelly's website and their activities. Misselle will also be running some workshops there in the near future.

I also took Misselle's podcast with me on my visit to the town. It was great to be guided round some of the old buildings 'in my ear' while actually seeing what was being spoken about. I also went to the parish church where the Millenium Embroideries were on display. This was a work of several panels made by the community for the year 2000 and Elle talked me through the history portrayed in them. Thank you, Misselle! You may not have been there in person, but I really enjoyed my visit and it felt as though you were there! Please take a listen to Misselle's episode entitled 'My Town', it really is so interesting, especially if you are interested in textiles.
Here is the link to her Blog.............
http://www.misselleknits.blogspot.com/

Also to Bradford Upon Avon...........
http://www.cotswolds.info/places/bradford-on-avon.shtml

Here is a selection of the photos I took while I was there.
                              This is the parish church where the embroidered panels were on display.
 This is the very ancient chapel, believed to be around 2000 years old. I think there was probably a place of worship there even before that!
 Below is the plaque from the side of this wonderful old taxtile mill. What must the town have been like in the textile trade hayday? I should imagine the air would not have been so clean back then. But there would not have been so many folk without work as there are today. This was a time when we in Britain had a fine industrial labour force.
Please feel free to go and have a look and maybe even join the Misselle Podcast Group at http://www.ravelry.com/, a site for  crocheters, knitters and spinners.

Please feel free to comment on anything you see here, I love hearing from readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment